Recipe: Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Balsamic Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup milk, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Wet Team: Whip butter until it’s light and airy. Add the sugar, mix thoroughly. Add eggs and vanilla, mix thoroughly.
- Dry Team: Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix half of the Dry Team into the Wet Team. Mix thoroughly.
- Add milk to mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining dry team to mixture, mix thoroughly.
- Bake at 350F for 15m.
This yielded 18 cupcakes for me. Came out on the drier side of cake (not too dry, just drier) so next time I might add a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- 1 cup butter
- confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- balsamic vinegar
- To make strawberry puree, hull fresh strawberries and puree them until you have 1c of puree. Sure, that’s obvious, but I figured I’d put it in here anyway.
- Reduce strawberry puree: Place your 1c strawberry puree over high heat, stirring constantly until boiling, then reduce heat. Stir continuously until you have reduced puree to 1/2 c. Entire process should take about 20m.
- Whip the butter until it is light and airy.
- Add some sugar, like, maybe half a cup, IDK, I never measure how much sugar I put in. Mix thoroughly.
- Add strawberry puree reduction. Mix thoroughly.
- Keep adding sugar until you’ve attained the right level of sweetness to your liking.
- Splash in balsamic vinegar, just a splash, mix thoroughly. Taste and repeat as necessary. (All told I likely added 1 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar.)
Yields more than enough frosting for all the cupcakes. Could likely frost 24 total cupcakes.
|previous post: Livetweeting Terrible Movies: The Selection||next post: PAX 2012: Meet the Omeganaut Video|